Thursday, October 22, 2015

10/20/1955

EAST FAREWELL NEWS


Thursday, October 20, 1955   Vol. C538


LOCAL NEWS


‘BIG CHARLIE’ CAUGHT AND RELEASED


East Farewell – The mystical “Big Charlie”, the largest bass ever seen in Lake Charles, has been realized by local fisherman, David Gettingsomwear, last week when he caught the elusive and historic fish after a forty five minute battle. The fish had become a legend among local fishermen after he was sighted jumping in the middle of the lake back in 1938. It was estimated that he weighed from fifteen to thirty pounds depending on who you talked to. ‘Big Charlie’ was stalked and sought for decades with only occasional sightings and rarer hooks. He was always able to get away and would defiantly jump out of the water as he swam away, as if to mock the hunters. Several photos exist of ‘Big Charlie’ taken by local fishermen but no one had been able to reel him in until last week.
            David Gettingsomwear is a lifelong East Farewell resident and an avid angler. He has fished Lake Charles all his life and is well versed on the history of Big Charlie. “I heard about him way back in the thirties but I never saw him until the summer of ’42. I was with my buddy, Jimmy C., and we were way up at the end of the lake. Jimmy got this big hit and then he said he hooked something big. Well, he fought it for a while and the this giant bass jumps out of the water, I knew it was Big Charlie as soon as I saw him, then he yanked on Jimmy’s line and it snapped, just like that. The next thing we see it Big Charlie jumping again and flapping his tail on ythe water. He was like showing off or something. It wasn’t until just the other day when I was back up at the end of the lake with Buddy O. and I hooked something giant. I worked it for almost an hour and got him to the side of the boat. Buddy happened to have a camera and he snapped a picture, I don’t know why, but he did. As I was going for the net I looked down and knew it was Big Charlie, I just knew. I reached down and grabbed him by the gills and tried to pull him up but he looked  at me like he was saying ‘Come on, give me a break’ I just couldn’t drag him in. I looked at Buddy and I said, ‘I’m letting him go.’ And Buddy just nodded. I let go off him and he swam away. About twenty feet away he jumped and slapped the water. Buddy and I laughed, I bet Big Charlie was laughing, too.”

            It looks like the legend of Big Charlie lives on in Lake Charles.  It will just have another chapter added with a picture the make it even more real.

 
 Big Charlie saying goodbye 

David Gettingsomwear with Big Charlie


SPORTS


COUGARS LET CANARIES SING FOR HOMECOMING


Slate Mountain – The Cougars made the Slate Mountain Canaries Homecoming a very happy and exciting event last Friday. Besides losing 24-21 to a mediocre team, they lost in the last minute on a come from behind scoring drive topped by a closing second field goal.  In the last three minutes Canary defensive back, Joe Regal, intercepted a tipped O’Conner pass and returned it for a score, tying the game. Then a rare fumble by running back, Davey Wilson, let the Canaries drive in to the seven and kicker, Walt Emerson, kicked a field goal, straight and true.
            “This was not our game, I know these kids and they can play much better than they did today. They were one step behind all game,” said Coach Burcowitz after the game, “I know we are much better than that. Those Slate Mountain kids played a great game but we certainly helped them along with our mistakes. There will be a lot to talk about next week at practice.”
            Next week the Cougars host the Sun City Eagles for the Cougars Homecoming. The game will begin at 1:30 on Saturday. A bonfire and pep rally will be held on Friday night on the Fairgrounds. There is also the Homecoming Dance scheduled for Saturday night.


 NATIONAL NEWS


WILLIAM WOODWARD JR. SHOT BY WIFE BY ACCIDENT – GABLE EXPECTING CHILD – DEMILLE’S SECRETARY DIES IN TRAGEDY


William Woodward Jr., wealthy owner of the racehorse Nashua, was killed by a shotgun fired by his wife, thinking he was a prowler. When she switched on a light and discovered what she had done, Mrs. Ann Woodward called police screaming and sobbing. The couple had been married 12 years. Nashua beat Kentucky Derby Winner “Swaps” in an August race in a $100,000 match. The couple had spent the evening at a party for the Duchess of Windsor at a nearby estate.

Clark Gable and his wife, the former Kay Spreckels are expecting a baby. It would be the first child for the movie actor.

Mrs. Rose Jones Finigan, personal secretary to film director C.B. de Mille, dies from the result of a tragic mistake in which she and a neighbor drank from a wine bottle that apparently contained termite exterminating fluid






No comments:

Post a Comment